Saturday

Unheard Of:

So. I started this house on Jan. 15. I'm still working on it. I've finished everything above ground level and am now focused on the underbelly of the house. This was supposed to be done by yesterday . . . it was possible.

That is until the unthinkable occured.

I rolled on one coat of paint. I rolled on a second coat of paint. And then I rolled on a third.

When painting you generally "cut in" first; that is paint the edges. Then you roll it. Thus far the two have blended perfectly with no problem. Until the basement. 3 coats and there was still a very distinct edgeline.

So it needed a fourth, owell. I'd prime the next room and everything would be peachy. Wrong.

Prime. 1st Coat. 2nd coat. And now in need of a third.

I referred my problem to Tony. He's my paint guy. His diagnosis was paint application. It could all be corrected if I roll first as close to the edge as possible and then cut and then roll again. I see his point, but this, I'm certain, is not the solution.

My theory is this. When you mix a gallon of paint there are two parts: base and tint. The base is thin because the molecules of the base need to join with those of the tint in order to create the color. Now if the tint is light there is going to be less cohesion and therefore the transparency of the base will show through. If there is a darker tint the binding would be tighter because there is more tint to "fill in" the "spaces" of the base. Couple all of that with the fact that I'm using the low brand of paint and voila! my problem.

Now this is simply a theory and it could be complete hogwash because I don't know jack about chemicals or the composition of paint. However, it sounds great for mere speculation!

Luv,
Clay

No comments: